Having 8 kids isn't crazy, it's an adventure!

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Off and Running!

     Well, the school year is in full swing.  This year Alyssa is in 10th grade, Justin in 8th, Josh in 4th, Alex and Addy in 2nd, and Levi is doing preschool.  Needless to say, I'm busy!  So busy in fact that I had to revise my more loosely scheduled day into a more structured unforgiving schedule.  First of all, I'm a list person, a check it off and see what I have done person.  I'm that crazy person who does laundry on Mondays and Thursdays, vacuums every morning, and starts lunch at 11:00 because my lists say to do it.  If it isn't on my list or my calendar it does not exists and therefor will not be done.  For me this schedule really works!  I love that the kids and I know what times we change subjects and that I can see that reading out loud is done and science isn't passed over but once a week. 

     But, this schedule does have a down side. I feel rushed sometimes.  There is no time for tangents or further digging into a subject if the kids are really into something.  So, I revised.  I moved science and history to the afternoons, which are more open, and put math, language arts, phonics, spelling, and writing to the mornings.  I don't think I have ever heard the kids beg for extra work in any of these subjects :)  So far, this change seems to have given balance to my schedule.  I have structure and things to check, and yet it allows for the fun of learning to stay alive!  That is one of our education goals for our kids.  We want them to love learning!  We want them to find the joy of discovery and thrill of working out a problem. 

   Okay, time to get to my schedule.  Luke is waking up, and my day is "new without any mistakes in it yet." as Anne Shirley would say.  Good literature is a must also, but that is a blog for another time.  I love watching our kids learn!  Thank you God for allowing me the opportunity to be home with our children and teaching them all that you would have them learn.  Give me the wisdom to do this job, the patience to be understanding and loving even when frustrated, and peace that I am doing what you have willed me to do.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you're a schedule person too!!! And I love that I found your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete