Having 8 kids isn't crazy, it's an adventure!

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Healthier Eating Heading Into The Holiday Season

There is a really great, albeit intimidating, challenge going on this month called The October Challenge.  The idea is to get back to raw and unprocessed foods, and eating organic when possible.  I love the sound of it, but as I considered it and read the blogs of those who are sponsoring the challenge, I started to waver on whether I could really do it.  Over the last year, we have been making changes to our diet to make it more healthy.  I try to by organic when possible and economical. I've also started buying our meat from local meat markets, and buying only grass fed or organic beef when possible.  With 10 people to feed, and a husband who will not eat most vegetables or bean and legumes it is a serious challenge to our budget and my creativity in the kitchen to come up with nutritious and delicious meals that everyone will eat!  I think we are going to bypass The October Challenge, but I'm making a 30 day challenge for our family, that I hope to stretch out to a 90 day challenge through the holiday season. 

First off, I'm cutting out the fast food.  We don't eat it often, but it is terrible for all of us, and I would rather start planning so that I can have quick meals that travel for the days that I normally would just run through the drive thru.  Giving up the weekly pizza from the local pizza place will hurt, but I can make my own for a lot less and it's better for us. Secondly, I'm going to get rid of most of the boxed cereal, and start making heartier healthier breakfasts.  Overall, I'd say we're going back to homemade, the way food should be and the way it tastes the best.  I plan to blog our progress, including menu ideas.  It should be a fun!  Our start day is in one week.  That gives me plenty of time to plan and get menus ready for all meals and snacks for the next two weeks.  We are having Josh's birthday party next Sunday, so that menu will be my first big hurdle!  I'm off to search out recipes and plan menus.

No comments:

Post a Comment