Having 8 kids isn't crazy, it's an adventure!

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

No Fast Food and De-Cluttering: The First Two Weeks

No fast food is going really well!  I've only been tempted to drive thru once, and boy was it a big one.  I took the younger 6 kids to the zoo, and on the way home we hit traffic, the snacks were gone, it was almost dinner time, and Lia was crying she was hungry, Levi had to go potty for the third time in less than 30 minutes, and Luke was screaming to be out of his chair and fed.  Luckily Kroger was around the corner, so we hit the bathroom and then I picked up some lunchables.  Not the best or healthiest option but way better than fried food.  After that day, everything has been easier :)  Having a set menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner is so freeing!  It makes my life so much easier.  I have only had to run to the store for milk and bread, since I had a full list of what I needed for all of our meals.  Much better for our budget, which is nice since I am a homebody at heart.  As my bimonthly shopping trip is coming up, I am really happy with my menu options and food choices for breakfasts and lunches overall, so I need only tweak a few of the meals I am rotating.  I am testing out my own granola recipe today, and I am super excited about that.  The kids love granola bars, so I am trying my own version of granola bites as well as bars.  I also decided to put a yogurt maker on my Christmas list.  The kids love it, and with Lia and Levi's food allergies I need to find a way to make yogurt they can eat.  I can not in good conscience buy coconut yogurt for over two dollars for a small container! 

We've amended our no eating out policy to include Subway and Chipotle.  Mick's work schedule and the kids busy soccer season drove this decision.  When we had only PB & J left after we finished the lunch meat, we knew we needed a healthy not fried option, so we chose those two places.  Also, Mick and I have started a breakfast date with one or two of the kids on Wednesday mornings.  It's nice to have some special one on one time, and since we cut out fast food the extra money means we can splurge.  Not to mention, I can make sure that the kids all get restaurant manners. Let's face it, eating out is expensive, especially with a family of ten, but I don't want the kids to be unable to sit nicely and have good manners on those rare occasions when we do have go out to someplace nice.  I love these time eating out with the kids in smaller groups too.  It is so fun to watch them get excited about the special treat of eating out,  and the excited chatter and laughter spending special time with Mick and I.  Precious moments that this mama will treasure as they grow older!  My organizing project is in full swing, and so far I have 3 bags to donate, 2 trash bags, and 2 of my 7 rooms done.  I am saving the basement for last, because it scares me a little bit lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment